Re: [Notensatz im 21. Jahrhundert] edition-engraver session, Sunday Jan

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [Notensatz im 21. Jahrhundert] edition-engraver session, Sunday Jan 19 @ 15:30
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 00:23:21 -0500

Hi Urs (et al.),

> This is a very good idea, and it is good you brought it up for
> discussion. I had a very similar plan with regard to the openLilyLib
> presentation on Sunday.

Excellent!

> I think the main target audience for the Sunday topics is people who
> are very much into LilyPond and its development anyway. Probably there
> are random participants, but anybody who stays for another night will
> very much have a quite specific reason to do so. Nobody will need to
> learn at that point what the edition-engraver or openLilyLib are

Well, with my 10 minutes, I’m still going to try not to leave someone "in the
dust"…  =)

> Given what I wrote above I can imagine you could even reduce that to
> not more than 10 minutes by sending example files before.

I’ll do that.

> I would put “solving low-level technical issues” to the bottom of that
> list. This is something that may not be too suitable for discussion in
> the larger group since (I suspect) nobody except Jan-Peter will be able
> to discuss such issues spontaneously.

I suppose I mean more like J-P asking “Why, when I try to make the EE do X, it
does Y?”, and David K saying “Well, Lilypond sees X as Z, so you need to write
Z->X first” or whatever.

> What I think would be most helpful and making most of the “historic
> situation“ would be discussing ways how to get the edition-engraver
> integrated in LilyPond.

Yes. Would love that.

> Integration of the edition-engraver in Frescobaldi is another issue
> with additional implications. We won't directly support it until it is
> integrated in LilyPond.

Ah. It’s good to know the order of operations on that.

> However, there is one road that can be pursued,
> and that is Frescobaldi's new extension API.

That’s what I was thinking.

> What do you think?

I like the direction that day is heading in.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info