Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by addr

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 09:48:36 -0800

https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/diff/581410043/configure.ac

https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/diff/581410043/configure.ac#newcode7
mailto:[address@hidden],
>> [lilypond], [http://lilypond.org/])
>> Hardwiring the version number in this manner is a real maintenance
drag.
>> Couldn't autogen.sh create a VERSION.AC file (or something like it)
containing
>> only the version number that is just included here?
>
> I agree that it's essentially duplicated, but it's not that we bump
the
> version every day. To make sure there's no divergence, I added a
check
> that the one provided in AC_INIT and in VERSION are the same.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to get rid of the VERSION completely, but
apparently
> you can build the website without configure'ing the project. I
wasn't
> sure if that is still used, so I went for this solution.

That doesn't answer my question, does it?

Maybe I mis-understood your suggestion: I thought you're asking if
configure can create a file that can be used in place of the current
version. That doesn't work because "make website" can be called without
configure'ing (not sure if that is used, it's certainly different from
how other projects using the GNU build system works)

But re-reading your question, you're maybe proposing to have a file that
is included by Autoconf when generating configure? I think that's not
possible with the documented functionality of Autoconf because you can
only do very few things before calling AC_INIT. I've not come across
something that can read a file in that situation.

https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/