Re: Weird intermediate context creation

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Weird intermediate context creation
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 09:26:00 -0500

On Jan 6, 2020, at 17:01, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> If I write
>>>
>>> << \new Staff { c' } \new Voice { d' } >>
>>>
>>> should the d' insinuate itself into the same staff as the c' ?
>>
>> You didn't specify a staff for the d', so I don't see grounds for
>> dissatisfaction if LilyPond were to do that.
>
> It's the same as
>
> << \new StaffGroup { c' } \new Staff { d' } >>
>
> where it clearly seems inappropriate to make the Staff be a part of the
> StaffGroup.

The context schema makes these cases different.

In the new-Voice case, the Score does not accept the Voice directly.  A Staff
is required between the Staff and the Voice, so the question "Which Staff?"
arises.

In the new-Staff case, the Score accepts the Staff.  Placing it in a StaffGroup
is not considered.

(Thanks for the rest of your reply too; I haven't digested it all yet.)
—
Dan