Re: move some OLL functions to vanilla LilyPond? [was: A suggestion: add

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: move some OLL functions to vanilla LilyPond? [was: A suggestion: add \rf to built-in dynamics]
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 19:32:42 +0000

4. Januar 2020 12:34, "Malte Meyn" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> Am 04.01.20 um 12:29 schrieb Malte Meyn:
>
>> But that brings me to another question: Shouldn’t we add the \dynamic >
>> command from openlilylib to
>> vanilla LilyPond? This would allow users to > have “p dolce”, “più f” and
>> ‘exotic’ dynamics like
>> “mfz” whithout having > to define extra commands using make-dynamic-script.
>
> One could argue that openlilylib can be installed easily but users might not
> want to install
> “addons” for basic tasks like this. (In fact, I have never used openlilylib
> apart from copying
> definitions from the definitions.ily files and I see myself as a advanced
> user; I don’t think that
> many newbies will use oll …)

There are good arguments to make openLilyLib more accessible to the general
user (at the conference in Salzburg next week discussing the state of this will
be part of my agenda). There are significant packages available that can be
extremely useful but seem not really suitable to be merged into vanilla
LilyPond.

OTOH from the many smaller functions scattered over the "snippets" and oll-misc
repository many might really be added to the main program. The dynamic
functions might be prime candidates for that.
That means someone should prepare a documented patch with regtest (if
appropriate) and submit it for review.
If nobody is willing to invest that amount of time the functions may well stay
available in openLilyLib ...

> Same argument for \shapeII.

This is definitely something I'd want to see in LilyPond. Maybe it has to be
significantly updated by now, and it should *not* have that indexed name. If
*replacing* \shape with \shapeII is not an option I'd suggest finding a
completely new name.

Urs