Re: Can no longer build.

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Can no longer build.
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 20:40:41 +0100

Am Fr., 8. Nov. 2019 um 16:34 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Nov 8, 2019, at 09:11, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> So how come my lilypond-invoke-editor script starts with
> >>
> >> "echo no not found -s"
> >>
> >> as its interpreter?  Note that some underlying problem might not be new:
> >
> > 1. What does "grep -w GUILE config.make" tell you? (Will be the same, I
> > guess.)
> > 2. Does reconfiguring yield a different before this commit?
> >
> > commit ad3effb7569fcd7182aa7b491b1d44fca3696c38
> > Author: Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden>
> > Date:   Tue Oct 15 22:00:02 2019 +0200
> >
> >     Check additional names for guile-config
> >
> >     On Arch Linux, the executable is called guile-config1.8 instead of
> >     guile-config-1.8 or guile-1.8-config.
>
> I got it now.  I used to do
>
> ./configure --enable-checking
> GUILE_CONFIG=/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config
>
> but that appears to mess up the setting of GUILE, so I need to do
>
> ./configure --enable-checking
> GUILE_CONFIG=/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config GUILE=/usr/bin/guile
>
> Apparently using GUILE_CONFIG precludes or sabotages the checks for GUILE ?

I made the experience that I need to set GUILE_CONFIG=... *and*
GUILE=... if I want a build which uses a not system-wide installed
guile-version.
Opposed to what you once wrote:
"It doesn't matter where you install Guile as long as you specify

GUILE_CONFIG=/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config

(or similar, depending on where you installed your Guile-1.8) as one
argument to either ./autogen.sh or ./configure since guile-config has
the installation path baked in and is used for providing all
path-dependent options for compilation and linking."

Though, I've no clue whether it _should_ work with solely setting
GUILE_CONFIG=...

Cheers,
  Harm