Re: 2.20 release roadmap

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.20 release roadmap
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 17:55:51 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> Don't believe so.  I've run GUB recently to build 2.18.83 and don't
> know that 2.20 would not build, once the git repo is stable.

There has been significant progress on GUB recently, mostly due to Knut.
It's pretty clear however that it's unlikely Python 2 will be around for
all of the 2.20 life cycle so that's likely to become a major
distraction at some point of time.  I don't think it would preclude
2.20.0 to be released, but it might necessitate a 2.20.1 (or greater)
later in its life cycle, distracting from other work.

I've recently done some significant bunches of cherry-picking from the
development branch if anybody had bothered to look at the stable branch
instead of just complaining, but am not finished with it yet.  Once I
am, that will likely be 2.19.84.  It might end up being released 2.20.0
eventually (if no major problems surface) since the current impasse is
looking to be causing more trouble than it is fixing.

I am fighting with motivating myself.  This question is being answered
about every month or two and pretending otherwise is not really
improving morale.  I am really grateful for all the great people who
reliably manage to keep up and contribute their part of getting there
and am sorry that it seems so hard for me to do my part.  As it stands,
we don't have realistic alternatives for 2.20 release management
offering themselves so I'll keep up stumbling to the finishing line.