Re: LilyPond's gs console output on windows

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond's gs console output on windows
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 06:32:44 +0200 (CEST)

>> Didn't Windows require something like rungs or mgs or gswin32c or
>> so?
>
> I have LilyPond 2.19.83 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 and Windows 10
> Pro 64-bit version 1903.
>
> Both of them behave the same way on Windows console: output a blank
> line and exit.
>
> But, with Windows Subsystem for Linux, one can type "bash" in the
> console and it switches to a bash environment.  That seems to
> execute things as expected. I haven't tried Git on Windows' bash
> shell.

Thanks for testing; git's bash shell works just fine.

It seems this is a GUB issue: It doesn't set the proper flag(s) to
build gs on windows as a console application.  In other words, right
now GUB builds `gswin32' and not `gswin32c'.  Maybe this is
intentional – I'm no expert on the Windows setup of GS.  If it is, we
should document that calling gs on the Windows console directly only
works if stdout gets redirected to a file, or if the binary is used
within a Unix shell like `git bash'.

    Werner

PS: The reason to call gs manually is to benefit from lilypond's
    `-dgs-never-embed-fonts' switch (also provided by lyluatex's
    `optimize-pdf' option), which needs post-processing with
    ghostscript.