Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 18:36:32 +0200 (CEST)

>> I think that the resulting bundle size of the `port mdmg' command
>> can be greatly reduced if you improve the lilypond-devel package
>> dependencies (i.e., adjusting the packages needed for building and
>> running). Unfortunately, I don't have enough time right now to do
>> it by myself; additionally, I'm not a MacOS user at all :-)
>
> I will post exact details later today once I have access to my
> computer again, but I have been working on trimming the package size
> and I believe my latest results have roughly halved the size compared
> to what is in MacPorts master.

Excellent!

> The next hurdle I am about to attempt is contacting some of the
> MacPorts dev community to inquire about next steps.

I'm the maintainer of the Portfile of `lilypond-devel'.  Please send
patches to me.  And please send more generic questions to

  address@hidden   ;

the people on the list are quite responsive usually.

> The next leap to be made is to figure out if GCC can be excluded
> from the package as it (and its dependencies) are currently
> providing the bulk of the package size.

Certainly, since gcc is only a build dependency and not needed at
runtime.  Maybe other packages must be fixed, too...

> The issue is that gcc is an implicit dependency declared through the
> compiler selection feature; currently it seems that the compiler is
> added as a “lib” dependency when really it should be a “build”
> dependency (i.e., needed for producing the package but not
> distributed as part of it).

Yeah, you are getting to the fine details I was talking about.

    Werner