Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 15:48:55 -0400

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> > On 17 May 2019, at 21:14, Marnen Laibow-Koser <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 3:06 PM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> LilyPond uses Guile 1.8, not the latest, and the lilypond in MacPorts
> uses gcc8, not the latest supported gcc9.
> >>
> > Will it build with GCC 9?
>
> That would need to be tested, but Werner said gcc9 does not build on
> earlier MacOS,

Does that matter? We already have a build process that works for earlier
Mac OS.  It sounds like as long as both GCC 8 and 9 are supported, we might
be OK.  But I’m sort of speculating.

and I saw somebody complaining it having clang listed as a dependency.

LilyPond having Clang listed as a dependency, or GCC having Clang as a
dependency?

> >> As for the SDK, the one they use is the latest having a true GCC, which
> is gcc4, I think, and what is called gcc after that is instead clang, not
> the official version, but an inhouse version, and lilypond does not compile
> with any of them.
> >>
> > Hmm.  If LilyPond won’t compile with Clang/LLVM, I wonder if that would
> be a problem for 64-bit Mac builds, because I don’t know if the macOS SDK
> will build with GCC.  (It certainly might; I haven’t checked.)
>
> One problem was different interpretation of some C++ templates, so that
> would have to be rewritten in LilyPond.

Hmm.  At this point I should probably stop speculating and set up a build
environment.  But I’m getting married in a month and am not committing to
any big projects before the wedding. :)

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser address@hidden http://www.marnen.org Sent from Gmail