Anchor points of Slurs / Phrasing slurs

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Anchor points of Slurs / Phrasing slurs
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 17:25:44 +0100

Hello.

I’ve been thinking about how to get these S-shaped slurs you tend to find in
piano music (e.g. in Staff changes) done properly in Lilypond. Usually this is
done by manually overriding the Coefficients to the Bernsteinpolynomials, which
I think should be avoided if possible.

I guess Lilypond’s optimizing algorithm might actually be able to this fine,
potentially with a slight variation of the parameters to the penalty
functional. But for this we’d need to have more freedom about the slur’s
anchor points:

Currently the anchor points are set both over or both under the starting /
ending note, depending on the slur’s direction. For the S-shape we would need
the control points to differ in directions, so one point above and one point
beneath the respective notes.

So I try to do do at least one of these two things:

A) Have both the the slur end point take a direction [ i.e. something like
B) Add a modifier '((x1 . x2) (y1 . y2)) to the slur interface to specify the
relative anchor points or an offset

I’m just stuck there, because I can’t figure out the part that actually
calculates the anchor points, so I hope that one of you has more insight into
the lilypond code regarding that matter.

Regards,
Valentin