Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:52:00 +0100

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> Phil? Anyone? How much extra effort for macOS builds would be tolerable?
>
> (In any case; with or without Apple hardware. All aside from
> matter-of-principle objections to Apple's license requirement.)

It is disingenuous to call it "matter-of-principle objections" if we
don't want to set up ourselves for getting sued by Apple for copyright
violation.  Apple's license is a legal document spelling out
requirements for legal use of their software.  Are you going to pay for
the defense if they sue for copyright violation of their Xcode license?

Apple has lots of lawyers and deep pockets.  And more relevant, they
most certainly have the _right_ to set the licensing conditions for
Xcode.

> PS: Possible future research on whether Linux can build something for
> macOS using only what's available at opensource.apple.com.

Depending on just _what_ OpenSource license they use.  If we have to
link with Apple libraries, we have to be able to release the result
under GPL-3.0.  Not as a "matter-of-principle" but because we cannot
afford gratuitous copyright violation.