Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:44:03 +0100

> On 15 Mar 2019, at 13:06, Karlin High <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 3/15/2019 4:44 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
>> I have been following this thread with half an eye. What is the
> problem exactly?
> Here's my understanding so far.
>
> * The next version of macOS will only run 64-bit software. (The current
> "Mojave" version runs 32-bit, but gives a warning.)
>
> * LilyPond has no macOS 64-bit version now. Unless one is made, users of the
> next macOS will need Homebrew or MacPorts to get LilyPond, much less
> convenient than the current macOS installer from lilypond.org.

The MacPorts version is 64-bit. Werner is looking into cutting down the
standalone binary it can create to a suitable size:
  https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2019-March/046530.html

> * Newer SDK versions with 64-bit support have license requirements to only
> run on Apple-branded hardware.

That may not be a new requirement: you have recently discovered it. :-)

> * Having a separate build process for a macOS installer will need more effort
> from the person doing the builds.

A distributed build might be a workaround.