Re: New feature: automatically invert chords or drop/rise chord notes (i

From: v . villenave
Subject: Re: New feature: automatically invert chords or drop/rise chord notes (issue 365840043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 11:49:43 -0800

On 2019/02/03 14:59:03, dan_faithful.be wrote:
While it is true that this algorithm yields chords that people call
inversions,
it does not yield every chord that might be so called.

Huh. Not having learned music theory in an English-speaking environment,
I must say I’m at a bit of a loss when I see these referred to as
"inversions" anyway (which they’re really not).  However, it’s my
understanding that this is their sort-of-official name; whereas "chord
rotations", whilst making sense in a way, doesn’t seem to register as
usual musical lingo (a cursory DuckDuckGo search mainly returns
engineering and seismology results).

Also, please note that the command we’re discussing here isn’t
\inversion (that’s an already-existing, and aptly-named, LilyPond
command), but \invertChords.  And somehow, \rotateChords would sound a
bit like a misnomer to me (I’d expect it to change the order of the
intervals *inside* the chord, whilst preserving the same lowest and
highest note -- perhaps it’s because I’m used to literally "rotating"
chords in a 2D-plane when representing pitches in a Tonnetz).

That being said, no problem for adding index entries no matter what we
end up choosing.  Would anyone else have thoughts on the subject of
\invertChords vs \rotateChords?

Thanks!

V.

https://codereview.appspot.com/365840043/