Re: Please test new lilypond installers

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Please test new lilypond installers
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 18:30:10 -0600

On 1/29/2019 3:19 AM, Knut Petersen wrote:
    lilypond-2.21.0-1.darwin-ppc.tar.bz2

PowerMAC G3 Blue & White
PowerPC G3 750 CPU, 450 MHz, 640 MB RAM
Mac OS X 10.4.11

I got the LilyPond app extracted from .tar.bz and it opens and runs. This computer has trouble compiling, though. Attached photo shows the error, something about incompatible cpu-subtype. This computer is old, who knows what's up with that. I double-checked to make sure the LilyPond installer is the darwin-ppc version.

Tonight I'll have another go at getting an iMac G5 running. Hard drive was erased, needs re-install. My macOS 10.5 Leopard DMG installer image needs dual-layer DVD, and the iMac's drive won't read those. I think it shipped with 10.4 Tiger, which installer I don't have. Copying the installer to USB hasn't worked yet despite many Open Firmware incantations to boot from the USB. FireWire DVD drives might have more hope, but I'd have to buy one from Amazon or eBay just for this test effort. And then never use again.

I have also learned that Debian's powerpc and ppc64-el versions are not the same thing at all.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA