Re: Microrhythm

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Microrhythm
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 11:20:27 -0400

metachromatic <address@hidden> wrote:
>>    To see how silly your comment on this issue is, let's calculate the
>> difference in time twixt a tuplet like 7919/4451 against a tuplet
>> 7909/4447 over the course of two minutes and 13 seconds of 4/4 time at
>> a tempo of metronome marking 90:
>>
>>    The difference is (0.00064839149)*60/90 seconds per quarter note =
>> 0.00043226099 seconds per quarter note.  But after only 200 quarter
>> notes (that is, 50 measures of 4/4, taking only two minutes and 13
>> seconds), that difference in timing has grown to ~ 1/11 second. And I
>> guarantee you that you can easily hear whether one melodic line is
>> offset from another by 1/11 second, since that equates to a difference
>> of slightly less than an eighth note at tempo 90.
>>
>>    Now, come on, Han-Wen...are you _really_ telling me the average
>> listener can't hear the duration of an eighth note a tempo mm = 90?
>> Seriously?

I have to correct a post from the other day: In my 30+ years on electronic
networks, *this* is the hardest I’ve ever seen anyone work to die on a hill not
worth dying on. And, bonus, it’s done with an extra helping of condescension.

Best of luck!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info