Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by addr

From: knupero
Subject: Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:17:41 -0700

On 2017/09/25 17:33:47, dak wrote:
Why are we still navigating the bleeding edge?  LilyPond is more than
20 years
old.

I remember a company that failed to get flash right.

Ghostscript still fails on GoToR without the help of extractpdfmarks ;-)

On 2017/09/25 16:38:16, knupero wrote:
> > > --use-encodings switches emmentaler glyph generation from
"glyphshow" to
> > > "show"+encodings and might be combined width
-dgs-never-embed-fonts.

> > That sounds good.  It also sounds like -dgs-never-embed-fonts
should imply
> > --use-encodings, right?
>
> No. There are legitimate uses for both standalone
-dgs-never-embed-fonts and
> --use-encodings.

I see.  Still using -dgs-never-embed-fonts _without_ --use-encodings
seems like
the most unusual combination, so I'd prefer if one had to explicitly
switch
encodings _off_ rather than _on_.

So you are absolutely sure that enabling "show" and the use of encodings
does not break anything?

What about other notation fonts?

About three weeks ago Malte Meyn complained on lilypond-user that
"lilypond -b" failed with the Haydn font.

Remember: We used the hardcoded name "Emmentaler" at various places for
--bigpdfs, and --use-encodings still needs and uses that portion of the
old code.

I have not checked that in detail, but I believe that we need to adapt
ps/encodingdefs.ps and scm/output-ps to support other notation fonts
with --use-encodings.

Ceterum censeo: We really should stay with glyphshow as our default for
lilypond 2.20 (two-two-zero).

This is all more murky than I like.

I totally agree.

Sigh.

Why can't anything be easy?

If it would be too easy someone would complain that it is boring ;-))

There is enough to be done for the lilypond 2.21 (two-two-one) low-level
postscript interface:
-  Support other notation fonts with --use-encodings
-  Change the code path that uses print_glyphs to also allow the use of
encodings and show.
-  We should change our eps inclusion code to allow to reuse an image
once it is loaded.
-  We should include a well defined way to set a background color, to
use an background image, and to allow a transparent overlay.
-  We even might discuss if it is wise to keep a separate svg backend as
it is easy to translate postscript to svg.
-  Someone probably will propose to add ghostscript as a git submodule
to the lilypond tree and to add some patches.

Don't complain that this isn't easy, be happy that there are at least
two persons working on this part of the code.

https://codereview.appspot.com/325630043/