Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 10:34:36 +0200

If other people agree that my <https://codereview.appspot.com/325630043/>patch
solves the problem of exorbitant file sizes, we might live well without ghostscripts
PDFDontUseFontObjectNum.

I'm not really clear on how this works, I'm curious as to where the final embedded fonts are inserted. However, if it does work it would be a good thing from my point of view.

It's amazing to see how putative minor changes affect pdf file sizes: The total
size of the pdfs of our documentation (11108 pages in 47 pdfs) varies between
96MB and 306MB dependent on some minor changes in the our code and the
ghostscript version used.

The good news: The winning solution (96MB)

 * is possible without PDFDontUseFontObjectNum
 * is possible with HEAD of git master of ghostscript.

Knut