Re: Improve internal chord structure

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Improve internal chord structure
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 11:54:07 +0000

Dear Renato,

>have you already made some systematization of the chords?
>There is a list here:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chords
>and I got myself interested in
>analyzing the context in which the chord is incident to have the
>"ability to capture the essence of complex chords",
>as stated in the GSoC ideas page.

The list of chords is interesting.  I can't speak for all of the
users/developers, but personally I don't think I would be interested in
using the names of the chords that are on the left hand side of that
table.  I'm less interested in having a unique name for each chord, and
more interested in having a structure that supports chord characteristics
(such as the quality which is listed in the table).

>I also have some interests in symmetry which
>might help with representing symmetric scale chords
>such as derived from Messiaen's modes of limited transposition.
>Might chords not from the 12 tones system
>or in other temperaments be of interest?

I suppose that there could be some interest in chords that are not in
standard temperaments, but I don't think that is the focus of interest for
this project.  I don't believe we are trying to expand the range of chords
that LilyPond can capture with this project as much as we are trying to
improve the semantics of what we already have.

That being said, I don't believe there would be any problem with adding
non-standard chords in addition to improving the semantics.

>I understand it might be late for coping with GSoC, but if you find it
>suitable,
>I might apply.
>My apologies for not making this contact earlier, but I handed my
>doctorate
>dissertation a few days ago and could not concentrate as needed until now.
>Some info about my research and software development efforts are gathered
>here:
>https://pastebin.com/iNNuN4fy
>Anyway, this topic might be of use for the LilyPond community as a whole
>and for
>developments outside GSoC.

Congratulations on your dissertation completion.  That's a big step!  If
you're interested in the project, we'd be delighted to have you apply.

Thanks,

Carl Sorensen