Re: Cleaning up GSoC project ideas

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Cleaning up GSoC project ideas
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 15:47:54 +0100

Am 06.02.2017 um 15:40 schrieb Paul:
> On 02/02/2017 04:10 PM, Urs Liska wrote:
>
>> However, I suggest that we either remove such orphaned projects or at
>> least compress and move them down to the bottom of the page. A concise
>> page with actual and current projects is quite important for attracting
>> students, I think.
>
> Sorry for the delay responding...  I'd rather not lose them from the
> website entirely just because they don't currently have a mentor (as
> long as we think they are viable student projects).  What if next year
> new/old mentors are available?

This is a valid point, and actually my crude proceeding was also
intended to *force* people like you coming up with such thoughts.

> But since you think it's important to remove or demote those
> projects... Why don't we move them to the "attic" page.  Then next
> year we can easily look at them again to see if mentors are available
> and we want to promote them back up to the GSOC page?

This is a good idea. Any suggestion where *exactly* to put them to?

> Might also be worth putting the grace note one there with a note that
> we decided it was too much for a GSOC project.  Otherwise people may
> re-propose it in the future.

+1

>> The question is what will remain, and I *strongly* encourage all of you
>> to consider the existing list and/or think about projects that could be
>> suitable for a student to tackle in three months of full-time work, and
>> where you could consider volunteering to be listed as a mentor.
>
> I haven't been able to think of any new projects.  I'd consider being
> a mentor for something involving scheme, but I haven't had a chance to
> look at the list or think further about it.

How about this one:
https://codereview.appspot.com/312440043/diff/1/Documentation/web/community.itexi
?

Urs