Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)

From: Jeffery Shivers
Subject: Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 09:10:39 -0500

I've thought about this a lot, and I agree that OLL would be the
obvious means to implement a *contemporary notation* package with
LilyPond.

A huge problem we will face with doing this, which will always be a
problem no matter how accessible/robust the library, is that there
will very often be some unexpected (and probably illogical) way that a
composer wants to notate their music. So if our software doesn't
support what they want, or they have to really *stretch* it to
accomplish their needs, it makes sense for them to turn to something
like inkscape for faster and more straightforward results, even though
that process won't carry all the benefits/flexibility of engraving
with a tool like LilyPond (for example, increasing the horizontal
spacing between everything in a multi-page score on a big ole inkscape
document is a much bigger deal than it is in LilyPond).

This is all to say, "contemporary notation" encapsulates so many
possibilities, it'll be a tricky and probably exhausting process to
figure out the best way to make its use available to as many users as
possible. Not saying that to be discouraging, just realistic.

> LilyPond's programmability and especially the provision to make enhanced
> features available through (more or less) easy-to-use commands is one of
> the major features I've been lobbying with over the recent years. And
> with regard to contemporary notation this feature outweighs (IMO) the
> fact that creating non-standard notation is more complicated than by
> using arbitrary drawing tools.

Yes, my comment above pretty much echoes that.

> What I'm thinking of is not a flat collection of notation elements but rather
> a hierarchy of
> building blocks that can be used to easily build concrete notation elements.

Yes - any thoughts on what the building blocks are yet? This could -
and should - be an extensive discussion for sure.