Re: Question about '\new Staff =' command

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Question about '\new Staff =' command
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 21:57:18 +0100

Am 02.02.2017 um 21:25 schrieb SoundsFromSound:
> Urs Liska wrote
>> You can use the explicit staff name to access the context (or compare to
>> some arbitrary value), and it's for example used in the \change Staff =
>> "upper" command.
>
> Can you give an example of a simple score where you create a staff and
> access the context explicitly? I am having trouble visualizing what you
> mean, but I understand the idea and how powerful it can be when it's used in
> practice.
>
> (i.e. \new Staff = 'Example')...then later in the file, access \context
> Example and override something.

Not really a practical or understandable one. But you may have a look at
https://github.com/openlilylib/scholarly/blob/master/annotate/engraver.ily#L86

Here an annotation will get a property for the context (i.e. to print
the context where the annotation refers to). If the context is given
explicitly in the annotation (i.e. there's some \with { context = "flute
1" } or so) this is taken. As the next step the function looks for a
named context (i.e. the music happens to be in something like \new Staff
= "flute 1"), and if that fails too it takes the containing directory
name (which is pretty stupid and only makes sense in the project setup
where the scholarLY package was originally developed).

So the idea is that at some point you can extract the name of the Voice
or Staff the current music is in and use that as a label or a lookup key
for something.

HTH
Urs