Re: Still cannot make doc :(

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Still cannot make doc :(
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 09:31:29 +0200

Am 29.05.2016 um 13:52 schrieb David Kastrup:
I have to see whether I have a chance to run a 64 bit kernel on my system: I used to for a few years (and consequently was able to look at 64 bit code), but the current laptop has an Nvidia card and Ubuntu's kernel/library setup did not manage to integrate the Nvidia proprietary driver stuff into a 64 bit kernel running on a 32bit userland and the free drivers did not work reasonably. Maybe the situation has improved.

On my i7-4790K valgrind reports 23179 "Conditional jump or move depends on
uninitialised value(s)"
and "Use of uninitialised value of size 8" errors from 121 contexts. I suspect
that the patch that breaks
"make doc" only exposes an older problem. But 121 context ... that's a lot of
code to inspect.

Workaround
============

I installed an additional 32-bit build environment on my PC and chrooted to that
environment (after "mount -o bind /dev /32bitenv/dev")
In this environment "make doc" succeeds.

A few questions
============

Is there anybody out there who succeeds to build the current lilypond
documentation on a 64 bit linux machine with a 64 bit toolchain?
Please report cpu as well as versions of gcc and guile.

To those who see "make doc" fail at orchestra.ly: Please report cpu as well as
versions of gcc and guile. Please also send the output of

valgrind -v --track-origins=yes /lilysourcedir/build/out/bin/lilypond -dpreview
-dverbose -dresolution=150 \
-o ./out-www /lilysourcedir/Documentation/ly-examples/orchestra.ly &> logfile

after a failed "make doc" of lilypond version c1d7bc2217 to me (obviously
"lilysourcedir" has to be adapted).

cu,
 Knut