Re: OpenType Features

From: Jay Anderson
Subject: Re: OpenType Features
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:37:22 -0700

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Jay Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
> First issue: It appears that lilypond is dependent on pango 1.6
> (pangoft2 - required 1.6.0, INSTALL.txt says pango 1.12 or newer so
> I'm not totally sure what to believe.). OpenType features were added
> in pango 1.18 (assuming I'm reading this correctly:
> https://developer.gnome.org/pango/unstable/api-index-1-18.html). Are
> there known issues with making this the new minimum version?

I was a little wrong here. Those OpenType feature methods are
deprecated. The supported way to set them is through PangoAttributes
using the PANGO_ATTR_FONT_FEATURES attribute type
(https://developer.gnome.org/pango/unstable/pango-Text-Attributes.html#PangoAttrType).
This was added in 1.38 which was released in 2015 September
(https://github.com/GNOME/pango/releases/tag/1.38.0). This is rather
new (newer than my operating system includes - 1.36.3). So the minimum
version would need to be _much_ newer than 1.18.

-----Jay