Re: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 21:54:55 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>> Could \true and \false be implemented as parser keywords?
>>
>> Probably.  It would be a lot of effort, and they would consequently
>> behave different from other fixed expressions assigned to identifiers
>> (being unavailable in Scheme being one of the effects).  So the
>> result would likely be less [rather] than more consistent.
>
> I think we (i.e. a certain awesome developer called David K) shouldn't
> go for it.  Maybe if guilev2 works as the manual Paul quoted promises.

That would just allow using ##true and ##false instead of ##t and ##f
(in LilyPond).  At least the stated issue of both looking too similar
visually would be addressed in that manner.

> Btw, you complained repeatedly about noone else but you cares about
> moving to guilev2.  Otoh, I remember you wrote, all low hanging fruits
> are done already.
>
> I always felt I wouldn't have the needed depth to help, I never asked
> expecitely, though.

The one thing that needs to be done next is seeing where current Guile
stable-2.0 sits with respect to encoding problems.  I think I have a
patch somewhere that is supposed to work with current versions.  But
2.0.12 (?) has not been released yet and anyway will take some time to
make it into Ubuntu, so one needs to work with one's own compilations.
And I was just too tired to pick this up again after the last round of
fixes.

At any rate, the encoding problems concern the C/Scheme interplay
mostly.  So it's indeed not really a field where you specifically would
not be likely to make progress once you did get stuck.

Once the encoding business is past, the next stretches to be covered
would likely be mostly Scheme-only, and then trying to bring a sensible
way for precompiling/installing the Scheme files to bytecode into the
Makefiles and cross-compilations.

I don't know what the current Guile-2.0 situation is, but compiling
Guile-2.1 (namely master) is insane.  It takes about a day on my
computer.  I don't really have much of a clue about Gub: it might be
that this only needs to be done once per platform and then you can keep
the stuff around for the next releases.