Re: Simplify the NullVoice context (issue 117050043 by address@hidden)

From: k-ohara5a5a
Subject: Re: Simplify the NullVoice context (issue 117050043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:31:52 +0000

On 2014/07/27 11:50:17, dak wrote:

https://codereview.appspot.com/117050043/diff/40001/ly/engraver-init.ly#newcode787
ly/engraver-init.ly:787: \override NoteHead.meta.interfaces = #(delete
'rhythmic-head-interface

Ugh.  This looks incredibly ugly.

I guess I lack a sense of aesthetics for Scheme code; I thought it was
rather pretty.

It would make more sense to make rhythmic-head-interface get along
without Rhythmic_column_engraver

It is easy to make the rest of the code accept an object with
rhythmic-head-interface that is unattached to any Rhythmic_Column (just
removing a test and warning in rest-collision.cc as I recall).  The
thing I didn't like about that was changing completely unrelated code to
accommodate the weirdness of NullVoice.

If we really, really cannot make do otherwise, we could design
substitute
engravers that mostly do the same job but without producing output.  I
mean,
Midi has to produce the same timing for Lyrics and manages with a
vastly
simplified set of performers.

My first inclination was to make an engraver that merely sets
melismaBusy and lets the Lyrics attach to PaperColumns,
but then we would need to synchronize that engraver with what
Tie_engraver, etc., do if there is ever a change,
and the current gives NoteHeads with real extents to which the Lyrics
can line up exactly as if there was a printed note.

https://codereview.appspot.com/117050043/