Re: Have git SHA1 ID's changed in the last 5 years?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Have git SHA1 ID's changed in the last 5 years?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 09:17:36 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:54 AM

> Benkő Pál <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Okay, so I'm not crazy.  I happened to keep an old repo from
>>> four years ago, and as you can see from the attached image,
>>> the two histories are not the same, and neither are the
>>> commit SHA1 IDs...  How did this happen, and could it happen
>>> again?
>>
>> could you track down the first divergence and/or give more info
>> about those repositories?  I've tried to check the commits
>> shown in your attached picture, but couldn't find any.
>> in fact the authors are quite suspicious, in my repo there's
>> no commit from fred, neither any from 1999-10-05.
>
> In ~/.mailmap I see a line
>
> Han-Wen Nienhuys and Jan Nieuwenhuizen <fred> # see note below
>
> but in my repository no commits authored by fred, so this suggests to me
> someone rewriting the history of the repository at some point of time in
> order to get rid of nonsensical author attributions.

I vaguely remember this happening.  Old history was imported from
SVG at some point, with Fred meaning Han-Wen.  There is a break
in the very old history after 1999-10-01 when it restarts at 1995-07-18
(see attached screenshot).  The discrepancies probably arise from
comparing entries before and after this break.

Trevor