Re: postpone push?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: postpone push?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 12:59:55 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> because of that unwanted merge while the patch for issue 3992 was
> pushed, i'm not sure what to do with my own patch for issue 4008.
>
> Should I wait before I push myself?

If the question is whether we will going to change anything in the
repository: no.  Any cleanup is going to leave more of a mess.  If the
question is whether you should be checking with gitk immediately before
calling "git push" if your change looks like being nicely on top of
existing master/staging: yes, of course.

If it isn't, we'll walk through any problems.  The CG recipe cited is
not really helpful there.  Personally, I just do

git fetch
git rebase origin/master mybranch
git push origin HEAD:staging

This will refuse pushing when staging is ahead of master.  While it is
possible to rebase on staging instead of master and push, I usually
prefer to let staging catch up with master (through patchy) before doing
my own push.  In case someone else borked staging, I avoid having to
clean up my version of the branch in order to remove the borked staging
commits.

Of course, checking with gitk before the push is still a good idea.  I
don't use gitk actually but rather

git log --decorate --graph