Re: Re: Issue 2245: always align dynamics and lyrics on "main" notehead

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Re: Issue 2245: always align dynamics and lyrics on "main" notehead (issue 108270044 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 08:26:45 +0200

Hi,

> This patch is problematic for me.
>
> Firstly, when a lyric syllable extends to the next note (as with a slur
> or tie), it is my understanding that the lyric text should be
> left-aligned with the left-most note of the chord.  See Issue 3521:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3521
>
> This patch prevents the 3521 workaround from working, which is bad IMO.
>
> Secondly, to my eye, I think the ideal alignment for a center-aligned
> syllable on a harmonic second ("suspended") dyad would be center-aligned
> with the stem, and not with the NoteColumn.

Actually, NoteColumn contains all noteheads (including suspended
ones), so aligning to NoteColumn is the same as aligning to stem (in
case of chords with seconds).

> No idea how easy or hard
> that would be to code,

With my patch that you are reviewing?  Trivial - it's already there ;-)

While I think that it's better to always align lyrics to the "main
notehead", I knew that some people woul prefer to do this otherwise,
so the patch allows to choose how to align LyricTexts (and
DynamicTexts):

\markup "Aligned on main notehead (default):"

\new Staff {
  <g' f'>2~ q
  <e'' d''>2~ q
  <g' f'>1
}
\addlyrics { la __ la __ la }

\markup "Aligned on whole notecolumn:"

\new Staff {
  <g' f'>2~ q
  <e'' d''>2~ q
  <g' f'>1
}
\addlyrics {
  \override LyricText.X-align-on-main-noteheads = ##f
  la __ la __ la
}

Tadaaaaa!! (see the output here:
https://lilypond.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=22450016000&name=2245-example-for-mark.png&token=ABZ6GAd_97MyGubnBUDOhPTmY_JHF76TaQ%3A1404282296494&inline=1)
And the alignment will be consistent regardless of input order -
either aligned on main notehead, or on the whole notecolumn, depending
on property X-align-on-main-noteheads.

As i didn't know that this problem affects LyricExtenders, this
version of my patch isn't changing their behaviour at all.  I'll look
into the code and try to make them consistent as well.

How do you like this? ;-)

> https://codereview.appspot.com/108270044/diff/40001/input/regression/text-spanner-attachment-alignment.ly#newcode21
> input/regression/text-spanner-attachment-alignment.ly:21: \repeat unfold
> 2 {c'4 _ \markup { "LONG" } }
> git complains about trailing whitespace here.

It was already there before, but i'll remove it in the next patchset.

best,
Janek