[Daniel Spreadbury] Mystery accidentals in Emmentaler

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: [Daniel Spreadbury] Mystery accidentals in Emmentaler
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:13:21 +0100

Hi Daniel,

The accidentals with
arrows in both directions were added by Maximilian Albert and are marked
with `for completeness'.  They have no established musical meaning.

I'm forwarding your question to lilypond-devel as I'm not sure about the
other two symbols you are asking about.

The slashed mirrored flat is an optional glyph for the mirrored flat

       (-5/18 . ,(if eksikMirroredSlashedFlat
                 "accidentals.mirroredflat.backslash"
                 "accidentals.mirroredflat"))

defined as Semi flat

     fet_beginchar ("Semi flat", "mirroredflat.backslash");

and the slashed double flat is defined as 3/4 Flat

     fet_beginchar ("3/4 Flat", "flatflat.slash");

but not referenced anywhere.

Greetings, Jan

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Mystery accidentals in Emmentaler Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:46:50 +0000 Hi Jan,

I'm trying to make a mapping between the repertoire of glyphs in Emmentaler and the glyphs in SMuFL (www.smufl.org) to check that there are no major omissions in SMuFL. There are a handful of mystery accidentals in Emmentaler that I have not seen in other sources, and wonder if you can shed any light on them?

Unfortunately the LilyPond documentation doesn't seem to provide any hints about what these accidentals are supposed to mean. My impression is that the sharp, natural and flat with arrows both up and down must be provided for the sake of graphical completeness rather than for the sake of any specific musical meaning. The slashed double flat appears to be the graphical partner of the Turkish Bakiye flat (in SMuFL, accidentalBakiyeFlat), as does the reversed flat with a slash through its stem (a reversed version of the Turkish Bakiye flat).

Do you know anything about these accidentals and what, from a musical perspective, they might mean?

Thanks,

Daniel

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH, Frankenstrasse 18b, D-20097 Hamburg, Germany

Phone: +49 (40) 21035-0 | Fax: +49 (40) 21035-300 | www.steinberg.net

President / Managing Director: Andreas Stelling

Managing Director: Kazunori Kobayashi, Hiroshi Sasaki

Registration Court: Hamburg HRB 86534

--- End Message ---

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl