Re: Texinfo special characters

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Texinfo special characters
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 16:07:25 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> Are there special characters in TexInfo that represent a tab (i.e. a
> right arrow) and a space?  I'd like to update the CG on formatting
> metafont and need to represent those two characters in text.

Well,
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040key.html#g_t_0040key>
is somewhat Emacs-centric with its spellings, but it's sort of canonical
for GNU.

However, those are _input_ character representations rather than file
character representations, so they might not be what you are looking
for.  A right arrow would be something like
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040expansion.html#g_t_0040expansion>
(not exactly logical markup for this use case) but it might be worth
checking what → (the UTF-8 input character) would produce.  No idea
about visible space, though.  While I know how to get it in raw TeX,
Texinfo supports a lot more output formats.