Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:47:28 +0000

On 2013/08/24 08:25:14, dak wrote:
On 2013/08/24 08:05:13, mike7 wrote:
> On 24 août 2013, at 10:18, mailto:address@hidden wrote:
>
> > LGTM, except of using `surrogate' in the name.  Given that the
stencil
> > dimensions are actively overridden on request, I would like rather
like
> > having `override'.  For me, the word `surrogate' suggests
something
> > passive.
> >
> > https://codereview.appspot.com/12957047/
>
> The definition reads:

It doesn't matter what the definition reads.  English has a live
vocabulary of
over 150000 words and there is no need to use all of them in
identifiers.  We
want our identifier names to be boring and following our own
terminology
elsewhere as well as that of other programs.

If you pick a non-standard word with slightly different connotations,
people
will think that the slightly different connotations are important,
rather than
that this is just playing randomization games with a thesaurus.

Having to send highly technical responses to non-native English speakers
daily as part of my job, I do get Werner's point. Surrogate isn;t
immediately obvious unless you have a wide vocabulary. I don't know what
this fix does, but could we use a word like 'alternate' or 'replace' or
'proxy' (assuming it is a function/command that has to take a value, and
'replace' it temporarily before it puts it back - see? I told you I
didn't know what this does), or perhaps 'stand-in' or 'backup'.

We had a classically educated programmer once that used to produce
beautifully composed 'event' messages and errors, however it just caused
a lot of confusion to our non-English customers (even some American ones
;) ) that we went 'boring' as David so succinctly put it.

https://codereview.appspot.com/12957047/