Re: make error: please check usage.makeinfo.log for errors

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: make error: please check usage.makeinfo.log for errors
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 10:02:47 +0200 (CEST)

>> All the error and warning messages you are getting deserve fixes,
>> but given that 5.1 is about 20 or more times slower than 4.13,
>> there's currently no gain to update.
>
> [...] for a normal "make" which builds documentation without images,
> the added time at the end is already a slight nuisance now.  Factor
> 20 would definitely make this larger.

Indeed.

> Maybe Texinfo 5 would provide a better path into our indexing
> problems.  But that's pure speculation.

Well, texinfo 5 is certainly superior to 4.13.  However, it is
completely written in Perl, and unless some parts of it are rewritten
in a compiled language, the lack of speed will stay.  Patrice will
probably work on it after the TeXLive 2013 release, and I hope that
there are improvements soon w.r.t. velocity – maybe we can do the
transition next year.

    Werner