Re: For MIDI \unfoldRepeats, explicit \repeat volta in all voices is awk

From: Mark D . Blackwell
Subject: Re: For MIDI \unfoldRepeats, explicit \repeat volta in all voices is awkward
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:57:31 +0000 (UTC)

> James <pkx166h <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> On 16 January 2013 17:53, Mark D. Blackwell <markdblackwell01 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Regarding MIDI output and \unfoldRepeats, LilyPond (I checked version 2.17.9)
>> currently follows this statement in the documentation:
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/repeats-in-midi
>> "In scores containing multiple voices, unfolding of repeats in MIDI output
>> will only occur correctly if each voice contains fully notated repeat
>> indications."
>> I write to complain (or suggest) because:
>> Requiring the users to add \repeat volta to all the voices is telling them to
>> violate the DRY (don't repeat yourself) principle.

> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=769

> ?
>
> JamesĀ

I am not writing about tremolo or percent repeats, as in issue 769 you
quote, but about multi-measure, section repeats.

I am not suggesting that anything happen *as if* I had entered
\unfoldRepeats.

Instead, I specify \unfoldRepeats explicitly in my MIDI score, but the
MIDI doesn't repeat the \repeat volta sections unless I take some un-DRY
pains. This is documented as such, but it is awkward.