RE: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Font: Including the jazz font for chords (issue3972048)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:03:19 +0000

Marc,

I have (and still) used Gonville. For Windows I simply take the contents of the
.zip file that is on the Gonville site and then I rename the

'...\Program Files\LilyPond\usr\share\lilypond\current\fonts' dir to
'fonts_orig' and move the fonts dir from the Gonville zip file to the same
location, that way when I want to switch back I rename the two folders
accordingly, nothing more is needed.

I do the same for Mac OS X (although it is slightly more convoluted because you
have to use terminal.app than drag/drop and the $PATH is subtly different) and
I am 'guessing' the principle for Linux is identical except he provides a
script (on the website) that 'automates' the process, creates symlinks IIRC,
but I haven't used LilyPond on Linux to know for sure.

There are some 'missing' fonts from Gonville - which the owner states on his
website - so that you cannot use it with Ancient Notation for example and I
think some other glyphs may not be available, I haven't tried to the run the
reg tests with Gonville to see.  I wouldn't really know how to go about
incorporating this into our source tree else I'd offer to help.

I'd contact the author directly. Last year when I helped write what
documentation we have on it in our NR, and he was very helpful, and patient
with me. I am sure he would be flattered that his font could be in the main
source.

James