Re: analyzing warning messages from log file

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: analyzing warning messages from log file
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 09:43:20 +0000

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 07:04:02AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> while walking through the log file I see many warnings for lilypond
> input files.  Some of them are part of the regression test,

IMO those should be moved into a separate directory, intended for
such warnings.

> What about adding
>
>   #(ly:warning (_ "Expect one warning"))
>
> to files where a warning is expected?

The last time this was suggested (about 5 years ago?), somebody
(maybe Han-Wen?) pointed out that #(ly:warning ...) would be
processed during the parsing stage, whereas most warnings occurred
during the engraving stage.  In a file with multiple expected
warnings, they wouldn't match up nicely.  The idea was dropped.

I personally would like some functions to print output at the
relevant stage:
  #(ly:warning_parser (_ "blah"))
  #(ly:warning_translator (_ "blah"))
  #(ly:warning_event_class (_ "blah"))
  #(ly:warning_engraver (_ "blah"))
  #(ly:warning_performer (_ "blah"))
  #(ly:warning_whatever_else_we_have (_ "blah"))

(or not necessarily "warning"; just a "print_during" -- it would
actually be useful for one of my research projects!)

I'd feel better about decorating regtests if we could truly target
the message to the warning.  (I still think that most regtests
should produce no warnings, and any exception should be in a
different directory)

Cheers,
- Graham