Re: [Request/Bounty] Accordion push and pull symbols

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Request/Bounty] Accordion push and pull symbols
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 05:33:29 -0600

On 7/9/10 4:26 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've got a draft of accordion push and pull symbols.  Please let me know
>> what you think of them.
>
> The positioning in the images is off: the symbols should slightly
> precede the notes, in particular the pull symbol's vertical bar: if
> there are one-columned fingerings or accents on the notes, they should
> not require much shifting.  That's different to how bowing instructions
> are placed, and arguably problematic for fast changing passages.

I'm not surprised the positioning is off.  I have not done any positioning
work.  They're just displayed with \markup { \musicglyph
#"scripts.accordion.push"}.  After all, I signed up for the job of
developing push and pull symbols that would be "nicely integrating with the
normal Lilypond fonts (and not confusing with other accents or marks)".

The job of "creating the magic needed for placing them well in connection
with other articulations/fingerings" is still unclaimed.

> Now the scans I produced are from a somewhat older instrumental school,
> so they may be a bit overdone (it is astonishingly hard to find good
> references since much accordion music is not giving bellows directions
> apart from some orchestral stuff, and if they do, they are often placed
> manually).
>
> However, one has to be aware that an accordion is a polyphonic
> instrument often notated on multiple staffs, so in contrast to the usual
> violin score, you may have a large note column including material in a
> second system that is affected by the directional change, so it is
> conceptually tied closer to the system (or a two-staff subsystem) than
> to actual noteheads.
>
> I like the overall look of the symbols, but it may well we that shifting
> to the "natural" place should already be accomplished in the symbol
> rather than the engraver.

I think that the engraver will need to move stuff around to align with the
note column.  It should be able to do that quite easily.

Thanks,

Carl