Re: [frogs] Frog's Lament

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [frogs] Frog's Lament
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:27:59 +0000

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:12:26PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> We are not talking about explaining concepts to potential contributors
> in private.  We are talking about explanations happening on the
> developer list.  Those can be skimmed off into documentation, without
> requiring all too much advance knowledge, because they were written for
> the sake of people without all too much knowledge.

I agree COMPLETELY.  Are you volunteering?

> Perhaps it would be worth of another task master just to tick any such
> article with the potential "more useful than existing docs" into a list,

I agree COMPLETELY.  Are you volunteering?

I'm asking because we currently have 0 (zero) people working on
the documentation[1].  Nobody's doing the Learning manual.
Nobody's updating the Notation reference.  Nobody's writing about
tweaking in scheme, or the glossary, or Usage, or getting
screenshots to show windows newbies how to click on the toolbar
icons, any of the other things that we'd like to have.

As long as everybody says "hey, we should find somebody to do
XYZ", nothing will get done.

Cheers,
- Graham

[1] actually, we have one person working on one page of the
website.  He's sent me two patches, made with diff -u... he's not
even using git.  I'm grateful for this, and potentially he might
end up being the documentation manager in six months -- but I
don't think he's a candidate for this job.