Re: How about using Gerrit instead of Rietveld?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How about using Gerrit instead of Rietveld?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:20:43 +0100

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I've just stumbled upon this paper:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/359489/
>
> Looks like the folks at Google have managed to produce (yet) another
> useful toy; basically it's the equivalent of Rietveld (the code-review
> tool we're using right now), but interfaced with git instead of svn --
> currently we're not using the svn part of Rietveld at all (unless I'm
> mistaken), but with Gerrit we could probably benefit from the git
> side.
>
> (Something tells me Han-Wen already knows about this tool, though :-)

Well, there are some things which would be nice to automate in a
bug/regression reporting and review system, related with version
controlling.  You can do side-by-side presentations of images for
certain revision numbers.  It would be nice if somebody reported a
problem introduced in a certain git commit to hyperlink into version
diffs.  If this sort of functionality is available, it gives more of an
incentive to do bisection or similar for pinpointing the problematic
commit.

Regression reports for existing regression tests can be put up more or
less automatically.  And a few other things.  No idea just how much
something like Gerrit would help.