Re: Fixes issue 786, "Extenders in lyrics stop prematurely if a single

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Fixes issue 786, "Extenders in lyrics stop prematurely if a single underscore is found."
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:32:19 -0800

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 21:57 +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2009/11/10 20:00:00, joeneeman wrote:
> > http://codereview.appspot.com/150067/diff/2003/3005#newcode113
> > lily/extender-engraver.cc:113: if (!melisma_busy (voice) &&
> > !current_lyric_is_skip_ && lyric_acknowledged_)
> > Could you please add a sentence or two explaining why this test is
> here?
>
> > Also, please add a comment explaining (at a high level) why we need to
> pass
> > empty lyrics to the hyphen and extender engravers.
>
> I'll try to explain both of these together. Here are the cases I'm
> addressing:

I appreciate the explanation, but I'd really like to have a comment in
the code. Basically, the problem was confusing enough that it required a
few tries to get it right; therefore, it will be confusing to whomever
looks at that bit of code in a few years. It would be nice to have a
comment which gives the four cases you listed along with the desired
behaviour for each case. It would be even better if the comment were
self-contained, rather than referring to the history of the code.

Thanks,
Joe