GUB test-output file sizes: extra fonts embedded

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GUB test-output file sizes: extra fonts embedded
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:50:33 +0000

I'm looking into why the test-output tarballs have quadrupled in size
between January 2009 and now.  It appears that some .eps files embed
extra fonts now.  For example, the 2 eps files made by
    input/regression/metronome-marking.ly
are 8.1K in the 2.12.2 tarball, and 2129K in the 2.13.6 tarball.

This is easily explained by the extra embedded font in the 2.13.6 eps files:
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font FreeSerif

It's worth noting that not all files have this extra font -- some have
other fonts.  It seems correlated with the amount of text; one of the
worst offenders is input/regression/markup-commands.ly, clocking in at
24 megs!  The 2.13.6 version contains
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font FreeSerif
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Sazanami-Mincho-Regular
  while the 2.12.2 version (only 25K!)  contains:
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Bold
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font CenturySchL-Roma
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: font Emmentaler-20

I haven't followed stuff about fonts, eps, ps, backends, etc.  So I'm asking:
1)  Is this text font embedding (if that's what it is) expected?  I
mean, did we add this deliberately to increase portability of eps
files or something for regular lilypond files?
2)  If it *is* deliberate, and a good idea in general, do we need it
for the regtests?  These are only used by people with a complete
development environment set up, so any extra portability tweaks are
probably not worth an extra 200 megs (-after- compression)
3)  Do we really need a lily-123456.eps and lily-123456-1.eps ?  if
not, then at least I could look into trimming the extra -1.eps file.

If anybody wants to look at these eps files in more detail, I could
send them off-list (i.e. just those specific eps files, not the entire
tarball).  Note that the filenames changed between 2.12.2 and 2.13.6,
but you can find the right matching by doing cd
input/regresssion/out-test; grep "REGTEST.ly" */*.ly

Cheers,
- Graham