Re: release plans

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: release plans
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:44:28 +0100

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 06:34:41PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le vendredi 18 septembre 2009 à 06:56 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > Some time later today (knock on wood) I'll make the official
> > 2.13.4 release.  This will happen whenever I manage to solve or
> > bludgeon all the issues involved in building GUB on my university
> > machine.  As such,
> > - I'm not going to check the regtests
>
> Is it worth I generate a regtest comparison manually (without gub, doing
> git checkout release/2.12.3-0;make test-baseline;
> git checkout release/2.12.4-1;make check) and upload it somewhere.

Maybe.  Do we have a volunteer to check them?  In any case, that
can't be done until there's a release.

> > - I'm not going to announce it on info-lilypond or the website.
>
> Unless enybody else absolutely wants to do this, I'll take care of this,
> including giving appropriate credits to the most important work done
> since last release (including work on GUB by you and Jan).

That's not the issue -- the issue is that this release will happen
"accidentally".  I know that the upload script is currently
broken.  I'll be fixing stuff, re-running it, fixing more stuff,
and re-running it.  And then all of a sudden, *boomph*, it'll
work.  And then I'll say "hey guys, apparently 2.13.4 is out",
just like I did for 2.13.2.  Basically, I can't predict when it
will happen.

I'm saying that we shouldn't announce it because various parts of
.4 might suck.  Once we've checked it out and maybe made some
changes... and hopefully once I have a reproducible series of
steps for making a release... *then* we'll release .5 and announce
it.

> >   But I still
> > need to spend *far* less time on lilypond, particularly during
> > university hours.
>
> Oh, I knew this in early March, then I realized that I didn't time for
> both this and completing a decent Master thesis.

Oh, I'll still be doing 1-2 hours each day at home on my netbook.
It's just that the extra university time should be restricted to 1
hour.

Cheers,
- Graham