Re: Grand PartCombine Rewrite Project

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Grand PartCombine Rewrite Project
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:56:50 -0400

Hi John,

This is a very exciting project!

I think so, too!  =)

Have you considered using music streams introduced by Erik Sandberg --
see his master thesis on http://lilypond.org/web/about/pubs ?

It was in the back of my mind... but I have to admit I don't (yet) know the tech well enough to say definitively that this would be the correct/best way to go.

If I understand correctly, the part combining should happen after music
has been interpreted, so using music streams might be very fruitful.

That would be wonderful. Thanks for the heads-up.

I unfortunately can't get involved in this project until I'm done with
switching the build system (I know, it's a poorly productive task in
short term, but we definitely need it for the sake of maintainability
and development comfort) and the translation infrastructure :-(

Fair enough — of course, if you ever want to toss in an idea or comment, feel free; and if/when you're done with the build, you're always welcome in the GPCRP.

Best,
Kieren.