Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: RFC: new vertical layout engine
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:57:49 +0300

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 13:48 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. Juni 2009 15:31:14 schrieb Joe Neeman:
> > A quick update on the new vertical spacing: the version now in dev/jneeman
> > has most of the features that I had planned
>
> Wow, I just tried it out for the first time, and I must say I'm impressed,
> Finally the scores look like professional full scores. However, I have run
> into two problems:
>
> -) When the last staff of a group is harakiri'ed, then there is no stretching
> after the group at all. Also, if the whole group is harakiried, there is also
> no stretching after the previous group.
>
> -) The staves of a piano staff are also stretched, so the piano staff looks
> very
> strange... Even worse, it seems that the piano staff is stretched MORE than
> the
> other groups...
>
> I'm attaching an example displaying both problems. The PDF output can be
> found
> at:
> http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/LilyPond/VerticalStretching/vertical_streching_harakiri.pdf

Thanks, these are both fixed now. I've configured PianoStaff to stretch
by default, but by a smaller amount than the other staff groups. At this
point, though, all of the default settings are provisional (ie. if
someone would try out different values and choose something that looks
good (or looks like professional scores), that would be much
appreciated).

Joe