GUB: reducing errors/warnings

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GUB: reducing errors/warnings
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:42:30 -0700

Has anybody other than Han-Wen and Jan build lilypond with GUB?
And/or does anybody have experience with the regtests?  I'm
running into many problems, and it would be nice if I could work
out issues (and ideally create patches) without having to pester
them all the time.

For example, building an apparently successful stable-2.12, I see:

address@hidden:~/gub$ nice make -f lilypond.make \
LILYPOND_BRANCH=stable/2.12 &> log
address@hidden:~/gub$ tail -n 4 log
To upload, run

                python test-lily/upload.py --branch=stable/2.12
--url git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git --execute
address@hidden:~/gub$ grep "barfed" log | wc
     10      46    2151
address@hidden:~/gub$ grep "No such file or directory" log | wc
      6      42     828
address@hidden:~/gub$ grep "FIXME" log | wc
      4      23     767
address@hidden:~/gub$ grep "does not exist" log | wc
     10      66     645
address@hidden:~/gub$ grep "ignoring header" log | wc
     17      51    1371

That gives me 228 messages which may or may not matter.  When the
overall system doesn't work (can't compile, can't upload, etc.),
it's hard to identify the cause.  It would be great if I could
work with somebody who had some clue about cross-platform builds
and/or automake and/or build systems written in python, who could
say "oh, if we add the -u flag to this command in that file, we
can harmlessly eliminate all those `does not exist' messages" and
the like.

Cheers,
- Graham