Re: I want to develop automatic lyric contraction

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: I want to develop automatic lyric contraction
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:05:14 +0200

Generally I would fix the first syllable's position (leaving it as it is), and then move the following ones closer to the first. I believe this would always produce pleasant results, as if one of the last syllables would go too early, then it would be still long enough to remain under the corresponding note (because if it weren't long, then it wouldn't make the hyphen disappear in normal spacing.) However, there should be a way to change the first syllable's position, because in the hand-engraved scores I looked at, they often follow special rules: generally a syllable has 3 letters, it is centered under the note, but a 2 letter syllable is aligned to the left side of the note. So if you have a word with 2 syllables, like money, then in contraction ney will still be centered under its note, but mo will be moved to the right. But this is not general rule, so I think it would be enought to make sure there is a property, which in contraction situations would allow me to override the default spacing.

Bert

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to dig myself into the C++ source of LilyPond.
I have a long-wished feature, for support automatic lyric contraction.
That means the following:
When there is not enough space for a hyphen to appear, the hyphen is removed. Like instead of "yeah - yeah - yeah", "yeah yeah yeah". In these cases I would like LilyPond to automatically contract it to "yeahyeah - yeah", moving the syllables, taking kerning into account.
How would this contracted syllable be aligned to the two note heads?

  /Mats