Re: ppppp but no fffff

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: ppppp but no fffff
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:24:39 -0700

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 09:21:29PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

> Graham Percival wrote:
>
> > > why is there ppppp but no fffff?
> >
> > IIRC I asked this 3-4 years ago, and the answer was that somebody
> > had seen ppppp in the literature (a Tchaik symphony, maybe?), but
> > nobody had seen a fffff.
>
> ffffffff on the last page of book 2 of the Ligeti etudes.

Sweet Mao...!

> Not that I condone that sort of ridiculous notation.

Yeah, me neither.  And if somebody really wants that, they can
look at dynamic-init.ly and figure out how to force lilypond to do
that themselves.  :)

If you'd like to add fffff for consistency's sake, I'm happy to
commit it -- but please also add a comment to dynamic-init that we
really don't want more than 5 letters.  :)

Please also modify NR 1.whatever.dynamics.are  with your change.
:)

Cheers,
- GRaham