Re: new website (general info)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: new website (general info)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:22:31 +0200

Graham Percival a écrit :
Hmm.  I guess we could rename AU to "General Information" or
something like that?

What would be the form of that "General Information"? A manual or a website? Renaming AU to something else implies keeping a manual form, doesn't it? Even if you heavily customize HTML output, the source would still be written in Texinfo, a documentation-oriented language that doesn't fit a web site design. Oh well, you can insert as many @html blocks as you like, but doing this for the whole website seems overkill to me; this will not bring any better web design more easily than plain HTML plus the existing Python formatting scripts (format-page.py and Co). Then, Texinfo would be only useful for parts of the web site that would be of any use in PDF format. I second Han-Wen about the importance of making a clear distinction between different information forms: documentation, general website... they are not read the same way, by the same people,
nor within the same timescales.

  This new doc would include:
(in no particular order)
- crash course

IMHO there's no use having it in printable form: printed output would be useful to take long time read it, which is not the purpose of this document, unlike the tutorial.

- alternate editors (in particular jedit and the like)
- OS-specific setup
- command-line options

This is already in AU, I mean, this is a manual of the documentation
and is meant to be there, not on the general website IMHO.

- mailists, how to report bugs, info about LSR

This belongs to the general website. You need to have an Internet connection and a web browser (and an email client if you like) to report a bug, so I don't see any benefit in making them available
in printed format.

- lilypond-book and convert-ly
If you mean documentation of these programs in a form of a manual, then let's just keep them in a manual.

It could be interesting to have the FAQ in PDF, but I'd rather have it as a standalone PDF. Texinfo could be used to generate a plain HTML file like we have in web branch sources.

- essay

The introduction of the manuals already contains one avatar of the essay in Texinfo, so this will be even more natural than the FAQ to have it in Texinfo on the website.

- comparsions (if we do them)
- press/publications
- testimonials

All these belong to the website, not to a manual.

- acknowledgements + dedication
- examples

There may be a reason for not having the acknowloedgements in the docs, but I
wouldn't be hurt by having them in the documentation.

... mao.  That's 90% of the material on the website.  I mean, it
only leaves the main page, features, download links, and the
"current help wanted" pages.

Although I like the idea of making some contents of the website available in PDF by writing them in separate Texinfo documents, I guess trying to include them in a single big Texinfo doc would bring nothing of much use in PDF output (I can easily imagine somebody who'd like to print a particular document, but printing the whole content of the website seems a bit crazy, unlike printing a complete manual; navigating a site on-screen in PDF format seems weird too), while making it unnecessarily complicated and painful to format HTML output with a combination of texi2html init file/CSS/Python
script postprocessing, to make it look like a website and not a manual.

I hope we'll get to a consensus based on more than just human resources constraints.

Best,
John