Re: DOCS: CG addition--running stable and devel at once

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: DOCS: CG addition--running stable and devel at once
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:29:04 +0200 (CEST)

> http://www.jonathankulp.com/stable-devel.pdf

BTW, to run stable and development versions in parallel, I do it a bit
differently:

  . `stable': Configure and install as normal.

  . `devel': Configure with

      ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/test

    and install as normal.

  . If I want to use the development version, I then say

      PATH=/usr/local/test/bin:$PATH lilypond ...

    This part can be saved into a file, of course.

So it's the question what exactly you want to achieve if you say `use
the development version'.  Leaving the binary directly in the
compilation directory probably makes it difficult to say `git pull'
without recompilation afterwards.

[Well, I always compile in a separate directory after cloning the
repository with `git clone -l -s . ../lilypond.compiled' so that `git
pull' in the original git repository is safe too -- if I want to
synchronize the compilation directory I simply say `git pull' there
too.]

   Werner