Re: RFC: book parts

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: RFC: book parts
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:49:07 +0200

Le 24 juin 08 à 17:26, Joe Neeman a écrit :

I remember this has been previously discussed on the mailing list, but I can´t find it; can you remind me why the default breaker doesn ´t work with text?

The default page breaker does not completely fill a page with text, but
somewhat "averages" space left on pages.
For instance:
 ___________    ___________
| text text |  | text text |
|           |  |           |
| text text |  | text text |
|           |  |           |
| text text |  | text text |
|           |  |           |
| text text |  | text text |
 -----------    -----------

instead of:
 ___________    ___________
| text text |  | text text |
| text text |  |           |
| text text |  |           |
| text text |  |           |
| text text |  |           |
| text text |  |           |
| text text |  |           |
 -----------    -----------

It is good to fill evenly systems on pages, but text should be added on
a page as much as possible before breaking to the next page. Reinhold have
reported having experienced this problem recently on -user.

Also, I know that there are scaling issues with large books -- do you see them with large score blocks or only when there are many scores?

Mine have many short scores (they are French baroque operas).
I don't know for large score blocks.

[...]

This functionality could be obtained by having multiple files, using first-page-number and concatenating the output into a single pdf. I agree that this isn´t a very nice workaround so I don´t have any objections provided that this can be implemented relatively simply. This would also deal with the feature request for per-score ragged- last-bottom.

I thought about the multiple \books workaround, but it is not only a
matter of first page number, but also of table of contents, ie of page
references accross the several books.

I don't intend to try to implement that very soon, as I've just been
asked the complete orchestral material for an opera. But when that's
done, I'll try to come with a simple solution (I understand that
something that won't be used by more that 2 or 3 peoples cannot not
be intrusive).

nicolas