Re: Initial sectioning of translated docs

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Initial sectioning of translated docs
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:08:32 +0200

On 2008/06/19 18:07 +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> I have made an initial trial sectioning of Percussion in French and
> German docs, as an example. Now the problem is the different snippet
> count, what to do here?

Ah, updating ly snippets should be a part of a real translation update,
but there are already some lys than can be already updated (see below).

>  I could simply copy them with their rounding
> English text, this is easy, but it would appear much English text on
> so-called translated docs, if this is not a problem I can do it.

This is a problem, because I suppose users generally prefer to read old
but consistent and fully-translated docs over reading revised docs
partially in English; and even if somebody prefers the second
alternative, she can just read docs in English.

> I also could copy the @lilypond blocks alone, but this will leave the
> docs in a rather nonsensical status.

Of course.  If you really want to update @lilypond blocks, update only
1) blocks that still make sense in the context of the outdated
translations,
2) snippets that have been moved to input/lsr: replace with
@lilypondfile[same options as in English docs] and move descriptions
into appropriate docstrings in input/texidocs.

This partial ly updating is worthwile, but it's quite time consuming, so
I don't mind if you prefer spending your time on more interesting
activities :-)  Moving and renaming docs sections is most important,
other aspects of translations can wait for a full update.

Good luck,
John